The Expense of Grocery Shopping
THE COST OF GROCERIES HAS INCREASED AND HOW YOU CAN FIGHT BACK
The expense of grocery shopping has increased considerably in South Africa, and after checking the information supplied by NAMC / Stats SA we found that it has risen but not as much as we thought it had, well not on paper. However, we compared the Stats below to what we are actually paying in grocery outlets and there is a difference.
The first table below shows the information supplied by Stats SA on the NAMC website:
Using the same products as above, we compared prices at two Grocery outlets, and this is what we discovered:
Keep in mind that the items listed are products as listed by NAMC and Stats SA website.
HOW TO SUPERCHARGE YOUR WAY TO LOWER GROCERY PRICES
The expense of grocery shopping has increased to such an extent that the average minimum grocery shopping bill has risen to about R4000 per month for a family of 4. This cost is unaffordable to the majority of South Africans. As per the NAMC website, the problem arises because the prices of food and fuel have gone up and the wages have not.
Tips on how to save on the expense of grocery shopping:
- Do not shop when you are hungry – how many times have we heard this tip? We laughed at this hint, but it is true – one sees all the delicious items and wants to fill our trolley with them.
- Plan your meals and use a shopping list. Avoid buying items that are not on the list!
- Buying in bulk when an item is on special – only if it is on your shopping list or you use it often.
- Avoid brand shopping – look at the price difference instead.
- Use your loyalty programme cards at selected grocery outlets. They may have specials on the system you are unaware of.
- Buy vegetables and fruit weekly to avoid wastage or prepare them and freeze them.
- Plan meatless meals at least one day per week.
- Prepare before shopping – look at which shops are running specials on the items you use.
- Use online shopping.
This brings us to the pros and cons of online shopping.
The grocery shopping process has changed drastically over the last few decades. The introduction of online grocery shopping has made it easier for customers to purchase their groceries without having to leave their homes. Grocery shopping is a chore for many people as it is time-consuming, expensive, and a hassle especially if you do not have transport.
We are also told that using online grocery shopping saves money. This we believe is possible because of what the eye doesn’t see …..
Pros and Cons:
- Save time: The first reason is that it saves you a lot of time. You can order your groceries and have them delivered to your door. You don’t have to worry about going out in the rain or cold to get your groceries, driving to the store and then waiting in line to pay for them.
- Save money: The second reason is that it saves you a lot of money. Additionally, you can do all your grocery shopping online which means that you don’t have to go anywhere which means that there are no fuel costs involved with getting there or parking fees. There is a delivery cost, but it might be worth the cost.
Online shopping is a pleasant experience, however, it does stop one from comparing prices and products as the items are limited. Should the item be unavailable when they pack your shopping for delivery, this can lead to customers receiving the incorrect product and feeling dissatisfied with their shopping experience.
Overall, there is room for both online and old school shopping.
The bottom line is to get the best deal for your hard-earned money.